Pregnancy is easily one of the happiest and yet difficult phases in every woman’s life. The body undergoes changes, and is quite susceptible to contracting colds and coughs and other commonplace illnesses. It is also a time of bodily aches and pains. Thankfully, moxibustion – a traditional form of Chinese medicine– is a potent remedy to help pregnant women with aches, pains, and even common illnesses. An experienced acupuncturist for pregnancy in Santa Rosa, CA can provide this treatment to alleviate several pregnancy-related symptoms. Read on to know more!
What is Moxibustion?
For the benefit of those who do not know what moxibustion is, it is a form of heat therapy that uses dried plant materials. These dried materials, also known as moxa, are burned very close to the surface of your skin, and in some cases, on the skin. The intention of doing so is to warm up and invigorate the flow of Qi while also eliminating various pathogenic influences on the body. Moxa, in most cases, is made from the leaves of Chinese mugwort, but it can also be made from other substances (generally herbs).
Benefits of Moxibustion During Pregnancy
Moxibustion is based on the same principles as acupuncture. However, in this form of therapy, instead of puncturing your skin with fine needles, long sticks of mugwort herb are burned very close to the acupuncture points that run along your body. The heat released by burning the sticks in combination with the potent properties of the herb, is said to render umpteen physical and psychological benefits.
- Moxibustion is used at an acupuncture clinic to cure myriad health conditions. This therapy is completely safe, and has no side effects, making it a viable solution for pregnant women looking for a remedy for pregnancy-related symptoms.
- Moxibustion is warm and dry, and can be used to treat conditions that are caused due to a deficiency in energy such as chronic fatigue syndrome aside from gastrointestinal diseases such as Crohn’s, diarrhea, and IBS disorders.
- It also helps in treating joint pain that may worsen in cold or damp weather.
- Stimulating techniques are used in the treatment of chronic colds by dispersing the cold. Moxa can be particularly beneficial for women who have an excessive cold pathology, and are susceptible to flus, colds, and coughs.
- Certain studies have also indicated that daily sessions of moxa can increase fetal activity. This in turn helps turn a baby from a breech position to a head-down position which makes delivery easier for the mother.
- Women trying to conceive may also benefit from moxibustion as it helps cure ovarian cysts and infertility.
If you want to know more about moxibustion, and whether this form of therapy can benefit you, look no further than Acupuncture Mama – the best acupuncturist in Santa Rosa. To schedule an appointment, call us today at 707-303-7200.